York Cost Share Programs Technical Assistance

York Cost Share Programs

Since 1985, the York County Conservation District has been offering cost share and technical assistance to landowners and farmers with critical nutrient management, water quality, and soil erosion concerns. Planning and technical advice is provided by USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and conservation district planners and technicians.

Soil and water are the farmers’ most important resources. Poor water quality and the loss of soil nutrients directly affect the profitability of a farm operation. An Ag E&S or conservation plan determines what problems need to be addressed and what to do fix the problems, commonly referred to as Best Management Practices (BMPs). Installing BMPs keep nutrients where they belong, control soil erosion, improve animal health, improve local water quality, and improve Chesapeake Bay water quality.

agriculture funding

brown field tractor

BMPs are specialized practices designed to control soil erosion, manure and nutrient runoff, store animal wastes, establish vegetation, and manage the application of animal waste and fertilizer. The conservation plan for your farm will include some combination of practices that address your particular situation. Common practices include:

  • Conservation Tillage/No-till
  • Cover Crops
  • Animal Waste Management
  • Contour Farming/Stripcropping
  • Waste Management System
  • Diversion
  • Streambank Protection
  • Terraces
  • Nutrient/Manure Management Planning
  • Grassed Waterway
  • Soil and Manure Analysis
  • Grazing Lands/Pasture Management
  • Riparian Buffers
  • Stream Fencing

The conservation district has cost share funding through various programs. These include Conservation Excellence Grants and the Exelon Habitat Improvement Program. Each program has its own rules. The USDA NRCS office also offers various federal assistance programs. All district programs require an application for assistance which is presented to the York County Conservation District Board for acceptance.