Assisting York County Farmers and Landowners

Assisting farmers and landowners to protect their agricultural resources has been the cornerstone of the Conservation District’s Ag Resource Program since its inception. Saving topsoil and managing nutrient run-off to protect water quality continues to be the focus of our efforts. These preservation efforts benefit farmers as well as all county residents. Conservation planning plays a major role in the water quality of our local streams & rivers, ultimately affecting the quality of the Chesapeake Bay. Because of the far-reaching effects of local farm practices, our farmers are being asked to develop and implement conservation and nutrient management plans and install Best Management Practices (BMPs), and they look to the Conservation District and our USDA partners to assist them in this effort. Interest in conservation plans is so strong that current requests for assistance exceed the capacity of the District Ag staff, resulting in a backlog of work. Our challenge will be to obtain the resources necessary to assist our local agricultural community in their efforts to keep York County’s farming heritage healthy and growing sustainably.

Cooperator Form to request District Assistance

(Fill-in electronically and print OR print and fill-in by hand. Sign and return original to the District for Board approval.)

Blair County Conservation District has developed an informative video

“On the Farm, In the Barn, By the Stream :

An Overview of Chapter 102 & 91 for Pennsylvania Farmers”

Available Resources

country road crops agriculture equipment

Ag Education and Outreach Fact Sheet 11-1-2021

Ag Education and Outreach Fact Sheet 2-15-23

York County Conservation District (YCCD) Office: 717-840-7430

The Conservation District mailing address is 2401 Pleasant Valley Road, York, PA 17402

YCCD Agricultural Staff:

  • Mark Flaharty
  • Joe Rebert
  • Brita Runkle
  • Troy Zirkle
  • Melodie Tuckey

For Conservation Planning AssistanceCOOPERATOR FORM will need to be filled out and mailed to the Conservation District. (Fill-in electronically and print OR print and fill-in by hand. Sign and return original to the District for Board approval.)


crop fields

Other Resources:

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) York Service Center:


Farm Service Agency (FSA) York Office:

717-755-2966 ext. 2

Private Consultants

Private Consultants can also develop your Ag E&S/conservation plan or your manure management/nutrient management plan, the following websites can be accessed for names and contact information.

Certified Conservation Planners – http.// Then click through to find list of planners for your area.

Nutrient Management Specialists – Then click on Nutrient Management then NM Certified Specialist search.

Department of Environmental Protection

Visit the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) website at for information on:

  • The Clean Streams Law
    • Chapter 102 – Erosion and Sediment Control
    • Chapter 91 – Manure Management RegulationsGeneral Permits for stream and wetland impacts
  • Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)
  • Manure Management Manual: Go to: “DEP Programs A to Z”, select “Manure Management”, click on the words “Manure Management” (by picture of manure spreader),
  • Open “DEP’s Manure Management Manual”

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA)

Visit the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA) website at for information on:

  • Act 38, Pennsylvania state nutrient management law
  • Resource Enhancement and Protection (REAP) program

Penn State Cooperative Extension

Visit the Penn State Cooperative Extension website at for educational materials and upcoming events & trainings related to cover crops, no-till, nutrient management as well as spreader calibration.